Marry knowing that it is for love and not money. This prenuptial agreement (also known as a pre-marital agreement) allows you to plan how you will divide your current and future wealth between you and your husband, wife or partner should you decide to divorce or separate in the future. It will help you control your ownership of important assets such as your house, sentimental possessions and your business.
About this prenuptial agreement
A prenuptial agreement sets out how assets and liabilities will be divided if you separate permanently or if your marriage ends.
Making a plan in advance should help you avoid expensive divorce settlements, help you keep items of sentimental value such as family heirlooms or property, and help you control who inherits your wealth.
Many people consider planning for break-up unromantic shortly before a wedding or civil partnership. However, preparing a prenup emphasises that the reason for marriage is love and not money, and can give both people confidence about what will happen should the marriage fail.
Why use this prenuptial agreement
- provides security during and after marriage to both people;
- avoids future disputes over how assets should be split and what each person contributed;
- helps speed up the divorce process and saves divorce costs;
- helps ensure that items with sentimental value remain with the person to whom they matter most;
- helps ensure that the people you choose (such as children from an earlier relationship) inherit your wealth;
- prevents your wealth from being given away shortly before break-up;
- helps protect business assets from being split and sold;
- makes a separation less emotionally stressful by removing the need to negotiate over as many things.
Is a prenuptial agreement legally binding?
Pre-nuptial agreements are legally binding and enforceable in Canada. Divorcing couples must adhere to their pre-nuptial agreements unless the contracts are blatantly unfair. The Family Law Act provides that a court may set aside a provision for support or a waiver of the right to support in a contract and may order or deny such support if:
- the provision for support or the waiver of the right to support results in unconscionable circumstances;
- the provision for support is in favor of, or the waiver is by or on behalf of, a dependant who qualifies for allowance for support out of public money;
- there is default in the payment of support under the contract or agreement at the time the application is made.
To be legally binding, the agreement must be signed by both parties in the presence of a witness.
We also stock a simpler version of this document that has been written for couples who are likely each to be financially independent before the marriage or partnership and for whom the concern is about ensuring that wealth and assets remain in the possession of whichever one brought them in, should the marriage fail.
We expect that this alternative document will be more suitable for older couples who have already accumulated wealth, and who perhaps are marrying for a second time.
The Net Lawman pre-marital agreements have been written to help you to comply with the suggested legal requirements.
This agreement covers a very wide range of possible outcomes and also deals with many matters to be agreed during your marriage.
There is extensive coverage of property, possessions, investments.
Children arrangements are covered broadly and shortly, because circumstances at divorce can be very different to those at marriage and a judge will make an order based on what he sees at the time.
This agreement covers the following:
- the parties’ personal details;
- relevant dates and application of principles likely to be required by law;
- ownership of the home now;
- separate ownership of property and possessions;
- many alternative arrangements for ownership of assets;
- joint bank account;
- sharing living expenses;
- children arrangements and after separation;
- property of each party remains his own;
- dealing with family home;
- children arrangements;
- financial support of children;
- financial maintenance of one of you by the other;
- prevention of one person reducing joint wealth before separation by giving away assets;
- dealing with family company and / or jointly owned business;
- capital calculation and transfer;
- promise of confidentiality;
- if one of you should die;
- other legal provisions to protect your interests;
- final statement of understanding of legal requirements.
This document is drawn by Net Lawman lawyers to comply with current Canadian law.
Buy from Net Lawman
Read what other customers thought about this document.
Reasons to buy from Net Lawman
Guaranteed to be the right document
This document comes with a full money back guarantee. You take no risk that it might not be right for your situation. Once you buy it, we’ll give you 30 days to evaluate it in any way you want. If for any reason it's not right, just e-mail us and we’ll refund your money in full immediately. Read more about our guarantee policy.
Every document is drawn by an experienced, qualified lawyer and reviewed by another - just as in any law practice. We incorporate changes to the law quickly so that our documents are up to date. Read more about how we draw our documents.
Real world experience added
As much as possible, our documents and guidance notes incorporate practical angles that only lawyers with commercial experience could include. Our drafting team have not just many years experience advising clients in practice, but also have the experience owning and managing businesses in a wide variety of industries. Our documents aim to give you an edge as well as achieving a legal outcome. Read more about the Net Lawman team.
We write our documents in language that everyone (and not just lawyers) can understand. Not only does this make your task of editing the document easier, but it also decreases the likelihood of another party breaking or disputing the agreement on the grounds of not having understood the terms. Read more about why plain English is important in legal documents.
Easy to use, even if you have no legal knowledge
Many of our customers are lawyers, but our documents don't require you to be one. Wherever it may be needed, our guidance notes explain the purpose of each paragraph, whether we recommend changing it, and what you might like to consider before you do so.
Our view is that, when editing our documents, you shouldn't have to worry about how to add legal wording. So our documents consider a far greater range of issues than our average customer will need, and because we avoid cross referencing paragraphs, we make it easy for you simply to delete what you don't need without affecting the rest of the document.
Support from lawyers if you need it
Our legal team is on hand to help customise a document in an unusual circumstances, or even to draft a document from scratch.
Buy once and reuse
When you buy a document from us, we grant you a licence to use it again. Keep the master copy safe and create new child documents from it whenever you need them. This applies to lawyers in practice as well as individuals and businesses.
Document download and delivery
Immediately after payment, you can download your document from our website. We also deliver immediately by email, but delivery is out of our hands and may take a few minutes.
Contact us about this document
If you have any questions about this document that we don't answer in the text above, please contact us and let us know how we can help. We aim to reply within 24 hours.
Leave feedback about this page
If you have noticed a bug or a mistake on this page, or just want to give us feedback, we'd love to know. Nothing is too small or too big. Send your message on this feedback page.
"Net Lawman has helped me through several procedures. The documents in plain English, the drafting service and the delightful customer service means I can get the job done properly, at a price that doesn't affect a small businesses bottom line. Thank you!"Dan White
"Brilliant. I am most grateful to Net Lawman. Your service standard is unparallel. I would strongly recommend any individual or organisation to Net Lawman."Dr. Smarajit Roy
"I needed to start a company fast, I searched and after looking at a few websites I came across netlawman, by far the easiest around. I will be looking again for when I need future documents fast. Thank you."textcards