- Length:11 pages (3250 words)
- Available in:Microsoft Word DOCXApple PagesRTF
If the document isn’t right for your circumstances for any reason, just tell us and we’ll refund you in full immediately.
We avoid legal terminology unless necessary. Plain English makes our documents easy to understand, easy to edit and more likely to be accepted.
You don’t need legal knowledge to use our documents. We explain what to edit and how in the guidance notes included at the end of the document.
We offer free support by email in respect of editing the document. You can also use our Document Review Service if you want to our legal team to check that the document will do as you intend.
Our documents comply with the latest relevant law. Our lawyers regularly review how new law affects each document in our library.
About this transfer of rights in music or other IP
This agreement has been drawn for a simple sale of copyright in one or more musical works or songs or lyrics alone. It is drawn as a sale so that the buyer has freedom to deal without the restrictions of licence terms, but provision has also been made for the composer to retain some rights. The retained rights could be any. Geographical territory or specific use would be the most common. If retained rights are more complicated, it would be better to use a licence agreement.
It is based on a sale of music or lyrics, but could also be used for other IP. It protects the interest of the seller without offending or prejudicing the buyer. It is as strong and thorough as documents drawn for more complicated deals.
You may be an individual or working through a company.
The document provides for a right of first refusal if the buyer decides to sell and a procedure to make that work fairly to both sides.
The financial arrangement is a simple cash sale. Both sides are protected by reasonable warranties.
Optionally, the seller can retain rights in certain circumstances or places or events. Conversely, you can limit the rights you sell.
So that you can easily follow the effect of the document, we have given names to the parties and the subject matter.
- Easy to edit (as always with Net Lawman documents)
- Thorough coverage of legal areas
- Practical, alternative business provisions
- No requirement for you to be your own lawyer
Alternatives to this music rights sale agreement
Net Lawman offers around 30 licence agreements and assignments relating to intellectual property in addition to those in website terms and conditions.
You can find the full selection at:
- Basic contracts for creative work
- High level IP licence and sale agreements
- Merchandising agreements
- Assignment, sale and transfer
- IP licences by creator or owner
- Software and other development contracts
Contents of this music sale agreement
Here is a list of the major subjects covered in this agreement.
- Definitions, interpretation and legal matters
- Selected warranties and understandings by both sides
- The assignment deal
- Right for creator / writer / composer to buy back
- Infringement of copyright
- Other matters relating to enforcement and other legal issues
All rights reserved