Option to buy land and property: extension of term for a fixed length of time
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this agreement
This template creates a call option for buying land and/or buildings. The buyer buys the right to buy the property at a given price within a certain period of time. This document also includes a provision for the buyer to extend the option exercise period for a fixed length of time in return for an additional payment to the seller.
When to use this option agreement
Using an option agreement to buy land or buildings for development allows an agent or a developer to minimise risk, whilst at the same time providing the seller with a payment regardless of whether the buyer exercises the option. It can help incentivise a property owner to cooperate in securing the future event the buyer is seeking and, depending on the sale price agreed, let the buyer purchase at a discount to future market value.
This document is likely to be used in situations where an event for which the option holder is waiting (such as grant of planning permission) could be delayed, and the holder wants to reduce the risk that the option term might end before the event.
You might use this agreement for buying land or buildings with a view to development before:
- planning permission (or other licence) has been granted
- finding a tenant
- negotiating with a local authority for a change in status of a listed part
- a land or building survey has been completed
- financing has been secured
This agreement can be used for securing an option on any type of land and/or buildings, and with a view to buying the property for any reason.
These might include:
- house building
- redevelopment of light industrial units
- refurbishment of offices
The document also includes an exercise letter template, which can be used by a buyer to exercise the option before the expiry date stated within the agreement.
Net Lawman specialises in property option agreements. You can find our complete range of templates at: Property option agreements.
Option agreement application and features
- Sets out a clear and logical pathway for exercise of the option
- All variables are clear and in one place
- Suitable for a variety of land types and situations
- Includes provision for assignment
- Includes provision to extend the period in which the option may be exercised for a fixed length of time
- Includes an exercise letter template
- User friendly: includes invaluable user notes to guide you through to successful execution
- Carefully and simply defined terms
- Specific data on money and timing
- Sellers warranties as to the current planning status of the land
- Seller must not take actions which might prejudice the buyer’s work
- The essence of the agreement - exercising the option
- How the extension works
- What the buyer may do and must do
- That the agreement may be assigned by the buyer
- A director’s guarantee, in case the seller is a company
- Recourse against buyer is limited
- A separate draft letter giving notice to exercise the option
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current Canadian law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
"I needed an Agreement and Google, as always, was where I headed. I found the Net Lawman site and initially I thought I needed a relationship type Agreement but the Lodger one was absolutely perfect.
I didn't think it would be so easy so would recommend your website to anybody who was looking for an Agreement to suit their needs."Wendy Auger
"Net Lawman has helped me through several procedures. The documents in plain English, the drafting service and the delightful customer service means I can get the job done properly, at a price that doesn't affect a small businesses bottom line. Thank you!"Dan White
"I needed to start a company fast, I searched and after looking at a few websites I came across netlawman, by far the easiest around. I will be looking again for when I need future documents fast. Thank you."textcards