- Length:6 pages (1650 words)
- Available in:Microsoft Word DOCXApple PagesRTF
If the document isn’t right for your circumstances for any reason, just tell us and we’ll refund you in full immediately.
We avoid legal terminology unless necessary. Plain English makes our documents easy to understand, easy to edit and more likely to be accepted.
You don’t need legal knowledge to use our documents. We explain what to edit and how in the guidance notes included at the end of the document.
We offer free support by email in respect of editing the document. You can also use our Document Review Service if you want to our legal team to check that the document will do as you intend.
Our documents comply with the latest relevant law. Our lawyers regularly review how new law affects each document in our library.
About this agreement
Option agreements are unusual documents in that it is generally the buyer that proposes the terms and sells the deal to the property owner. The buyer therefore has the problem in deciding how far to push for terms. Sometimes a long legal document can be a hurdle to get the deal signed quickly.
This is an option agreement to buy real property - land and/or buildings - specifically drawn to be short and simple, for situations where it is important not to present the other party with a full legal agreement that he may worry about.
This document does create a legally binding agreement, but does not tie up the loose ends as our other versions do, and does not offer as much protection for the buyer from the unexpected.
It is, however, short, written in plain English and therefore easy to understand.
If simplicity and ensuring minimal friction with the other side are crucial, use this document rather than one of our other property option agreements.
When to use this option agreement
The document is suitable for both:
- a developer wishing to secure a ‘right to buy’ on real property subject to a future event
- a land or property owner looking to sell an option to a potential buyer
You will use this agreement to secure land with a view to your working to enhance its value before any event.
- planning permission has been granted
- you have found a tenant or sub-buyer
- a land or building survey has been completed
The document also includes a template notice of exercise letter, to be used by a buyer to exercise the option before the expiry date stated within the agreement.
Option agreement application and features
- Sets out a clear and logical pathway for exercise of the option
- Short and simple: all variables are clear and in one place
- Suitable for a variety of land types and situations
- Includes an exercise letter template
- User friendly: includes invaluable user notes to guide you through to successful execution
- Carefully and simply defined terms
- All variable matters in one place for ease of editing
- The specific data on money and timing and the exercise of your option
- Seller's warranties on matters you need to have clear before you commit
- The essence of the agreement
- That the agreement may be assigned by the buyer
- A separate draft letter giving notice to exercise the option