- Length:10 pages (2650 words)
- Available in:Microsoft Word DOCXApple PagesRTF
If the document isn’t right for your circumstances for any reason, just tell us and we’ll refund you in full immediately.
We avoid legal terminology unless necessary. Plain English makes our documents easy to understand, easy to edit and more likely to be accepted.
You don’t need legal knowledge to use our documents. We explain what to edit and how in the guidance notes included at the end of the document.
We offer free support by email in respect of editing the document. You can also use our Document Review Service if you want to our legal team to check that the document will do as you intend.
Our documents comply with the latest relevant law. Our lawyers regularly review how new law affects each document in our library.
About this agreement
This is a straightforward "vanilla" option agreement to real property for a fixed price at a future date. There are no extensions or peripheral conditions, uplifts or other special features. The deal is simple.
However, this version provides a high level of legal protection. It creates a full contract for sale and purchase subject only to exercise of the option by the buyer. As many points of law and conveyancing matters are covered as is reasonably practical so as to minimise the chance of conflict.
If you are fearful that your buyer may be overwhelmed, then use a simple option agreement that contains fewer legal provisions.
When to use this option agreement
Using an option agreement to buy land or property for development allows a buyer to minimise risk, whilst at the same time providing the seller with a payment regardless of whether the buyer exercises the option. It can help incentivise a property owner to cooperate in securing the future event the buyer is seeking and, depending on the sale price agreed, let the buyer purchase at a discount to future market value.
You can use this agreement on any occasion when you need to await some event. It could be simply planning approval, or it could be resolution of a dispute, grant of a licence relevant to this land, or simply an offer of financing.
This agreement can be used for securing an option on any type of land, and with a view to buying the property for any reason.
These might include:
- house building
- redevelopment of light industrial units
- refurbishment of offices
The document also includes an exercise letter template, which can be used by a buyer to exercise the option before the expiry date stated within the agreement.
We have other agreements for non-standard deals. You can find our complete range of templates at: Property option agreements.
Option agreement application and features
- Sets out a clear and logical pathway for exercise of the option
- All variables are clear and in one place
- Suitable for a variety of land types and situations
- Includes an exercise letter template
- User friendly: includes invaluable user notes to guide you through to successful execution
- Carefully and simply defined terms
- Buyers warranties
- Sellers warranties as to the current planning status of the land
- The essence of the agreement
- Indemnity by the seller
- A director’s guarantee, in case the seller is a company
- Seller must not take actions which might prejudice the buyer’s work
- What the buyer may do and must do
- Limitation of buyer liability
- A separate notice letter to exercise the option