Business lease: shop in parade
This lease is for letting a single shop or retail unit in a multi-tenant parade owned by the same landlord. The shop could be used for any purpose; for example: sale of goods, restaurant, cafe or sale of services (e.g. estate agency or PC repair). Any upper parts of the building are let separately. Features: service charge provision; guarantor; break provision; rent review options; option for assignment; sub-letting not allowed; draft agreement for security deposit.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this lease
This business lease has been drawn to let a retail unit in a parade of shops owned by the same landlord. Tenants are likely to share some facilities and services. This agreement allows for service charge recovery and use of shared facilities between tenants. The shop could be for any purpose .Examples are: retail of goods, restaurant or cafe, or service provision such as PC repair or estate agency.
The shop may or may not have additional space used by the tenant for other business purposes, such as offices or storage.
This is a professionally drawn, very comprehensive lease with massive legal protection for the landlord including a long menu of “do’s” and “don’ts”.
This lease is not a compromise between the interests of the parties. It prefers the landlord’s interest. We think that is the best start point. If you wish to make concessions to your tenant, that is fine, but we want you have those choices.
It includes service charge provisions to provide 100% recovery of service costs.
Similar commercial lease agreements
- If a restaurant, cafe or fast food outlet will be operated from the property, Restaurant lease agreement may be more appropriate. This lease contains specific clauses for commercial kitchens and food retail.
- If you don't require service charge recovery provisions, Lock up shop lease agreement.
- If the property will be used as an office (rather than a shop), Self contained office lease agreement may be more appropriate.
Plain English is used throughout except where it is necessary to use legal terms common in this field of law.
The key features of this lease template can be summarised as:
- standard guarantor
- options for transfer or assignment to another party
- sub-letting forbidden
- option to include a break clause for premature termination by the tenant
- a choice of options for rent reviews
The law in this shop lease
Commercial leases differ significantly from residential leases. Residential leases are highly regulated. In contrast, commercial leases are governed chiefly by common law and are very loosely regulated. The rights and obligations of the landlord and tenant are mainly a matter of agreement between the parties. There are no statutory requirements to register your lease, but either party may register a lease of three years or more.
This shop lease is comprehensive, providing alternative choices for important decisions.
The contents include 30 provisions and 3 schedules covering:
- rent: period, amount, other payments, interest on overdue rent, periodic review
- condition and repair
- tenant's positive obligations
- service charge recovery
- restrictions on tenant: prohibited activities on the property
- signs and advertisements
- assignment of the lease
- indemnities by the tenant
- security deposit
- access for landlord
- termination: default notice by landlord; provision for premature termination (a break clause)
Schedule 1: the service charge
Schedule 2: rights reserved
Schedule 3: draft agreement for a security deposit
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current Canadian law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
"I needed an Agreement and Google, as always, was where I headed. I found the Net Lawman site and initially I thought I needed a relationship type Agreement but the Lodger one was absolutely perfect.
I didn't think it would be so easy so would recommend your website to anybody who was looking for an Agreement to suit their needs."Wendy Auger
"Net Lawman has helped me through several procedures. The documents in plain English, the drafting service and the delightful customer service means I can get the job done properly, at a price that doesn't affect a small businesses bottom line. Thank you!"Dan White
"Brilliant. I am most grateful to Net Lawman. Your service standard is unparallel. I would strongly recommend any individual or organisation to Net Lawman."Dr. Smarajit Roy